Monday, June 2, 2008

Ruth Hunt Candies

So today I went to Ruth Hunt Candies Factory in Mount Sterling, Kentucky. I attended a professional development opportunity provided by Eastern Kentucky University on how we can use chocolate to teach economics. It was definitely interesting, but I would probably use the wrappers compared to the actual candy in the classroom (way too much chocolate, I agree with teaching students about eating healthy, and using actual chocolate may deter from that!). It was my first professional development opportunity outside of Midway, and it was nice to hear different views from teachers of different districts. We also got lessons and activities to help implement the economic portion to literature, math, and social studies. Something I may be able to use during the next year to finish up my degree with classes and student teaching, and then when I am in my own classroom, so I am excited to have had the opportunity to attend!

We also got a tour of the factory, and we got to see them make a great candy called Blue Monday. And of course we got a free chocolate to try, which was super yummy! When the kids are a little older to appreciate how candy is made, I think I will take them for a tour there, it was super nice and really neat to see up close. We had went to a chocolate factory before in Florida, but everything was behind glass and we didn't really get to experience it like I did today. You can find out more about Ruth Hunt Candy at http://www.ruthhuntcandy.com.

My husband got to do the usual Monday ritual of taking the kids to music class, and I think he really had fun. It was nice for me to get out of the daily grind with the kids and actually do something without them, and it was nice for him to be able to spend some time with the kids at their classes. I have to admit I missed them terribly, and glad I am back home and will be going back to our regular schedule tomorrow, but nevertheless, it is nice to do something different!

No comments: